I have a son. He has grown into a fine young adult. The other day someone told me that he seemed like a nice guy and how he seemed genuine. Immediately following I was told, "Good job." As most mothers would, I thanked the person and felt proud. I have been told this over the years by several people and each time my reaction has been the same. My feeling of pride was due to the fact that I felt I could take some credit in the kind of person my son had turned out to be.
For some reason, however, this most recent occurrence had me thinking.......as he has gotten older, I realize that it's not just about me raising him "right" - it's about HIM and his decision to be that person. Kids can "go the wrong way" even when raised "right." He decided to carry on the values he learned growing up - for that HE deserves the credit. He could have decided not to do that, could have decided to live his life a different way - his decision to be a "nice guy" is now why I am proud.
Take pride in both for one could not have happened without the other.
ReplyDeleteSo...I took your advice...Ella finally agreed at 9:53pm that she could sleep in her own bed by herself...until Friday...hopefully she remembers that tomorrow...maybe then I could be proud too!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you took my advice (at least SOMEONE is listening...LOL) and glad it worked - for today! Now all we have to do is get Mommy to stick to the plan and not give in when little Ella asks again (and you KNOW she's gonna...LOL). Another idea is get a chart that shows the month or at least a weekly one. Get some stars (a color of her choosing) and for each day she sleeps in her bed, give her a star. Tell her that if she gets stars for the whole week, she gets something special on the weekend!! When they can visualize their progress, it helps. It's worth a try!!
ReplyDeleteIt means so much to have a mom that is as proud of me as I am of her. You are the greatest mother I could ever ask for and my life would not be the same without all the help you have given me over the years. I couldn't have asked for a better childhood and upbringing than you gave me. Its such an amazing feeling as a son to know that your mom is so proud of the person you are.
ReplyDelete"Children will not remember you for the material things you provided but for the feeling that you cherished them."-Richard L. Evans
I Love You Mom.
you two make my heart melt!
ReplyDeleteawwh johnnyyyy. lol. he has grown up well and he was taught from the best. i wouldn't be this way if it weren't for the way you raised me. in the few years i lived with you i learned so much about myself. you taught me right from wrong even if i didn't want to learn it or didn't agree with it.. i greatly appreciate it now. so i give you a lot of credit for the person i've become!! :)
ReplyDelete