Favorite Quotes

Pat's Pick:

“Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.” ~ Albert Einstein

MJ's Pick:

"We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day." ~ Edith Lovejoy Pierce




Monday, November 30, 2009

The Huntress and the Fireman

This morning I watched two of my pets while they were in the back yard. Chessie, one of our cats, appeared to be hunting something. Crouched low, swatting and pawing at the ground. She would pounce then claw pulling grass and dirt up with each strike. She would reposition herself lock back onto her prey and strike again. As I watched she was removing a fair amount of soil and was reaching deeper into the earth. It turns out she wasn't hunting prey but rather digging a hole in the yard. Bandit, our dog, Was lying there watching Chessie throughout her entire excavation project as well. He watched, his head turned lightly, his ears perked up, his stare unbroken. Bandit is a border collie and they are known for their stare. You'd have to see it to fully understand the intensity of this gaze. There we were, Chessie digging, Bandit watching and I being witness to the both of them. Chessie stopped digging and I can only guess it was to admire her work. It was then that Bandit got up, walked over to chessie, Stood beside her giving her a sniff then he raised his leg and commenced to p*ss into the hole that Chessie had worked so intensely at creating. Chessie looked down at the hole then slowly back up at Bandit. Without so much as a meow or twitch of her tail she walked off. I'm not sure if you're familar with cats but they can and will hold a grudge and if I were Bandit I'd sleep with one eye open the rest of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment