We were on the couch, I was sitting at the end and she was laying down, her head opposite me on a pillow. We were watching TV relaxing after having a good lunch at a local BBQ restaurant (perhaps a future blog). We sat quietly talking about what we were watching. A few jokes, a few comments here and there about the weekend's events. In all just relaxing and enjoying each others company. We've known each other for many years and are quite comfortable with one another yet we still continue to learn about each other. Today's lesson was one of trust. Not the trust one normally thinks of as neither she nor I would ever hurt each other purposefully but rather one of protecting each other while most vulnerable. I'm speaking of guarding ones dreams. Let me explain...
I myself being an insomniac (as mentioned in a previous blog) sleep very little and have done so for longer than I can remember. In the days preceding this story though I have found myself getting tired more and sleeping longer hours. Within these extra hours of sleep I have reached the dream state, R.E.M. as some of you may know it. These dreams have not been of a pleasant sort and have left me uneasy when I wake. Feeling disorientated and shaken by these dreams I spoke to her. Who else would I turn to after all, but the one who at times knows me better than I know myself? I gave details to the best of my recollection as to the who, what, when and where of each dream as I remembered them.
She's a warm friendly loving person, someone very special, who always will and has been there giving her support. Supportive not only of me but of others also blessed enough to have become a part of her life. She listened to me as I spoke of events I could recollect of my dreams as each invaded my sleep. She listened, tried to help me make sense of them, but mostly she reassured me that they were in fact dreams. She would get me to laugh when I needed to or just listen and let me know she was there. During this process of listening and comforting she would speak of restless nights and the dreams that had interrupted her peaceful sleep. It is this exchange that brings me back to the reason of this blog.
As stated in the beginning we were on the couch watching TV and resting after a good meal. She was starting to drift off into sleep but couldn't get comfortable.I told her it was okay if she wanted to stretch out. She sat up, placed the pillow against me and laid back down. We talked for a while more and as we did the conversation became softer as she drifted off into slumber. I sat up watching TV and watching over her. As she slept if she tossed and turned or otherwise seemed to be less at ease I would stroke her head gently as a parent soothes a child until she settled back down.
Friends are few and true friends even fewer, within each other we have both. As I sat watching over her and thinking I realized how much she had to trust me to sit there watch over and comfort her while she slept. I understood that the amount of trust for this was a far greater trust. In a sense I was her security blanket, her guardian of dreams. I also knew that if she trusted me this much then I could expect no less from her had I been the one falling asleep. We were and whether present or not are in a sense each others Dream Catcher.
This is a great story and a perfect title to fit
ReplyDeleteHappy for your PJH in that you have such a great friendship! Great friends are hard to come by, especially those that we are completely at east with. It takes two and you have struck a good combination!
ReplyDelete