1. Use a cover sheet on ALL faxes…or…if that is too much work…at least write “ATTN: (Recipient’s Name)” somewhere on the fax…preferably the first page…I am not a psychic and neither is anyone else you send documents to…or at least it is unlikely.
2. Do not use e-mail as a method of sharing constructive feedback…it is too easily misconstrued and often important questions are not answered and pertinent details are lacking. For example...it has been observed that the desk is unattended so please spend more time there…who observed? For how long? On what day? At what time? What was I doing away from the desk? Should I discontinue the duty that took me away from my desk? Am I allowed to ever leave? Am I responsible when those assigned to cover for me don’t stay put? Will you be picking up all of your mailing, faxes, pleadings, filing, invoices, deliveries and supplies from now on? How would you like me to share this new interpretation with my co-workers who have other expectations? How much time away is too much? What errands are acceptable for me to complete? Who will refill my water when it’s empty?!
3. Do NOT berate your employee from your desk at the back of your office while he/she is sitting at his/her desk across the hall…EVERYONE in the office can hear how obnoxious you are being…this manner of communication makes not only the employee miserable but also causes undue suffering for those nearest to your office…additionally the level of unprofessionalism and disrespect this evidences is completely inappropriate in any environment, let alone a work one…you are entitled to your opinion as the boss, but your technique could seriously be improved…invite the employee in, shut the door, have a chat that only the two of you can hear!
4. If you are too busy to print a label...1 min 30 sec start to finish…you are too busy to chat with every person whose office you pass on your way back to your desk…too busy to search for celebrity photos on the internet…check your bank balances…pay your personal bills…engage in a discussion regarding best fashion deals/haircuts/power ball/last night’s dinner/weekend plans…internet shop…call your spouse...run to the kitchen every 30 minutes for a 15 minute break…gossip in the bathroom…steal food…go visit Muhammed downstairs…or file your nails.
5. If someone does your work for you…be polite…say thank you!
6. Your personal business is only personal if you talk about it privately…I can hear pretty much everything up and down the hall…I chime in partly as a courtesy to remind you that you have an audience.
7. We are equals…I don’t give a crap what your title is…therefore you can at least politely refuse to answer “why?” instead of telling me I shouldn’t question you…get off your high horse and learn to comport yourself appropriately in the work place.
8. Your personal life has no bearing on your work performance and your kids do not belong in our place of business…no matter how adorable they are…they don’t want to be here so please stop torturing them!
9. Smile, say hello, it is free and simple to be nice…this will make your work environment better.
No comments:
Post a Comment